The story (so far)

I created this blog to recount a fantastic journey I recently undertook with my father, to visit our family's place of origin. My grandfather, Joseph Schechter, was born in a small village in a province of the Austro-Hungarian empire known as Galicia. This area is now divided between Poland and Ukraine. In October, 2010, my father and I traveled to the city of L'viv in order to find this village, and learn a little bit about the lives of Jews here prior to World War II. I took multiple photographs, and kept a journal (handmade by Kristen Crane). What you'll see here are transcriptions of my journal entries.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 4 - back to L'viv

On our way back from Peremyshliany, we stopped at a medieval fortress in the small town of Svirzh (Свірж). Supposedly, some investors have been talking about renovating the castle to turn it into a hotel and restaurant. It was beautiful, and offered a great panorama of the countryside. On the way down from the castle, Alex pointed to an old well and told us about a former client of his who were relatives of the family that once owned the well, who'd come here in search of their Jewish roots in Galicia.
the approach to Svirzh castle


Dad at the castle's door

view of the pond

Dad in the courtyard

 Back in L'viv, we had an awesome dinner at a Georgian restaurant called Stary Tflis, which means "Old Tblisi." I've never seen a Georgian restaurant in the U.S., but apparently it's pretty popular in Russia and the other former Soviet states. Great grilled meats, flatbread, and Kharcho soup. I also learned that Georgia is renowned for its brandy. Since the town I live in has a large Armenian population, and Armenia borders Georgia, I should see if I can find similar delights here at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment