The story (so far)

I created this blog to recount a fantastic journey I recently undertook with my father, to visit our family's place of origin. My grandfather, Joseph Schechter, was born in a small village in a province of the Austro-Hungarian empire known as Galicia. This area is now divided between Poland and Ukraine. In October, 2010, my father and I traveled to the city of L'viv in order to find this village, and learn a little bit about the lives of Jews here prior to World War II. I took multiple photographs, and kept a journal (handmade by Kristen Crane). What you'll see here are transcriptions of my journal entries.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 5 - Berezhany/Buchach

п'ятий день - Wednesday, October 13, 2010


While I was planning for the trip, I read a bunch of books about Jewish heritage sites in the L'viv region. I'd emailed with Alex in advance of the trip about places that I wanted to see. Looking at some maps, I'd tried to group sites together that made sense as day trips. Since Dad left all the research to me, and I was more than happy to do the research, I'd compiled a nice list of towns to visit. Today's trip took us into the Ivano-Frankivsk and Ternopil Oblasts, to the Galician shtetls Berezhany (partially demolished cemetery, synagogue, and Polish fortress) and Buchach (monument in the forest to victims of another mass execution, an overgrown-but-otherwise intact Jewish cemetery) by way of Rohatyn. It involved the furthest distance to travel to and from L'viv. I hadn't quite realized how long the drives were going to be, and wasn't really prepared to be spending most of the day in the car. Needless to say, I wasn't able to get nearly as many pictures to capture the amazing scenery we drove through. So, after some photos of these towns, I'm going to provide you with a listing of things I saw from the car window as opposed to my usual narrative.


Synagogue in Berezhany, with some evidence of slow restoration

Outside wall of the Berezhany synagogue

recently-constructed fence at the Jewish cemetery in Berezhany



crumbled gravestones



Some of the gravestones were fairly intact

These stones were recently installed by relatives in Israel

repairing the church dome



Berezhany fortress



Add caption




In the courtyard of the fortress, you can see a scale model of what the castle will look like once reconstruction is complete.



Harold on the pathway outside of the castle





Monument in the forest, Buchach

Cemetery in Buchach



Aside from the weeds, these stones were fairly undisturbed.



Legible Hebrew inscription


On the reverse side of many stones, the name of the deceased was written in Polish.


Some observations I made of the Galician countryside:
  • Small brick houses with painted metal gates and chickens in the yards;
  • Farmers leading their cattle along the side of the road, or driving horse carts;
  • Babusyas hauling sacks or selling enormous pumpkins;
  • Flocks of geese stopping traffic as they cross the road;
  • Rolling hills with land divided into rectangular plots of rich, black soil (chornozem);
  • Stray dogs roaming through 750-year-old towns;
  • Fat cats scrounging for food in a dumptster;
  • The stench of a sugar-beet processing plant;
  • A coal-fired electrical power plant;
  • Autobus stops decorated with tile mosaics and covered in grafitti;
  • Glittering domed churches;
  • the mighty Dniester river.





No comments:

Post a Comment